Jan 15, 2015
- Open 'VirtualBox'. Create a new machine of Type 'Mac OS X' and Version 'macOS 10.13 High Sierra (64-bit)' (probably others work, but I just tried with that one). Once the machine is created, go to the 'Settings'. Select 'Storage' and click to add a hard disk.
- Here is the tutorial for installing Ubuntu on a virtual machine. Open the VirtualBox by double clicking on it. Click on New to create a virtual machine. Type Ubuntu as the name and choose Linux as the type. Choose the Ubuntu (64-bit) version and click Next to go on. Then follow the prompted instruction to complete the installation.
- Note: In the installer, Go to Utilities Disk Utility. Select the VirtualBox disk and choose Erase to format it as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive. Step 7: Remove sierra.iso and restart VM. See also: macOS VirtualBox VM Instructions; Run Mac Osx on Virtualbox on Ubuntu.
- Sosumi is a snap package based on macOS-Simple-KVM that makes it easy to download and install macOS in a virtual machine (is comes bundled with qemu-virgil, which includes virtio-vga, a paravirtual 3D graphics driver). It does not ship with macOS, but downloads an installer image for macOS Catalina.
Buy VMWare Fusion, download, andinstall (write the serial number during installation). To get quicklystarted, you download a trial version for free and later buy it andregister the serial number (easy).
Go tohttp://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/downloadand choose the latest 64-bit Desktop version of Ubuntu.Save the downloaded Ubuntufile at some place you can recognize later.Other Linux distributions.
Virtual Machine Ubuntu On Mac FreeWe strongly recommend to use a Debian-based GNU/Linux distribution,because Debian has by far the largest collection of prebuiltmathematical software.
Among the Debian-based distributions, we recommend Ubuntu, simply becauseswitching keyboard layouts is more reliable or easier in Ubuntu than in, e.g.,Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint (a configured layout might be goneafter a reboot). Switching keyboard layouts are particularlyconvenient when doing programming with an English/American keyboard,with braces and brackets in natural places,and then writing emails using a native keyboard with special characters.
- Launch VMWare Fusion (the instructions here are for version 7).
- Click on File - New and choose to Install from disc or image.
- Click on Use another disc or disc image and choose your
.isofile with the Ubuntu image.
- Choose Easy Install, fill in password, and check the box for sharing files with the host operating system.
- Choose Customize Settings and make the following settings (these settings can be changed later, if desired):
- Processors and Memory: Set a minimum of 2 Gb memory, but not more than half of your computer's total memory. The virtual machine can use all processors.
- Hard Disk: Choose how much disk space you want to use inside the virtual machine (20 Gb is considered a minimum).
Ctrl+backslash, in the Switch to next source using field. Then you can use the shortcut to quickly switch keyboard.
gnome-terminal, right-click its new icon in the left pane and choose
Lock to Launchersuch that you always have the terminal easily accessible when you log in. The
gnome-terminalcan have multiple tabs (
Ctrl+shift+tto make a new tab).
Subscribe: install in VirtualBox on Mac. Click on times below to jump to sections:0:35 Downloading Ubuntu 171:34 Download and insta.
Installing software on Ubuntu
You now have a full Ubuntu machine, but there is not much softwareon a it. Installation is performed through the Ubuntu Software Center (agraphical application) or through Unix commands, typically
To look up the right package name, run
apt-cache search followed bytypical words of that package. The strength of the
apt-get wayof installing software is that the package and all packages it depends onare automatically installed through the
apt-get install command.This is in a nutshell why Ubuntu (or Debian-based Linux systems)are so user-friendly for installing sophisticated mathematical software.
To install a lot of useful packages for scientific work, go tohttp://goo.gl/RVHixr and click on one of the followingfiles, which will install a collection of software for scientific workusing
install_minimal.sh: install a minimal collection (recommended)
install_rich.sh: install a rich collection (takes time to run)
Install Ubuntu On Virtualbox MacThen click the Raw button. The file comes up in the browser window,right-click and choose Save As... to save the file on your computer.The next step is to find the file and run it:
The program will run for quite some time, hopefully without problems.If it stops, set a comment sign
# in front of the line where it stoppedand rerun.
The Ubuntu machine can see the files on your host system if youdownload VMWare Tools. Go to the Virtual Machine pull-down menu inVMWare Fusion and choose Install VMWare Tools. A tarfile isdownloaded. Click on it and it will open a folder
vmware-tools-distrib,normally in your home folder. Move to the new folder andrun
sudo perl vmware-install.pl.You can go with the default answers to all the questions.
On a Mac, you must open Virtual Machine - Settings... and chooseSharing to bring up a dialog where you can add the folders you wantto be visible in Ubuntu. Just choose your home folder. Then turn onthe file sharing button (or turn off and on again). Go to Ubuntu andcheck if you can see all your host system's files in
Create Ubuntu Vm Virtualbox
If you later detect that
/mnt/hgfs/ folder has become empty,VMWare Tools must be reinstalled by running
sudo perl vmware-install.pl as above or
Run Ubuntu On VirtualboxBackup of a VMWare virtual machine on a Mac.The entire Ubuntu machine is a folder on the host computer,typically with a name like
Documents/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu 64-bit.Backing up the Ubuntu machine means backing up this folder.However, if you use tools like Time Machine and work in Ubuntu duringbackup, the copy of the state of the Ubuntu machine is likely tobe corrupt. You are therefore strongly recommended to shut down thevirtual machine prior to running Time Machine or simply copying thefolder with the virtual machine to some backup disk.
If something happens to your virtual machine, it is usually a straightforwardtask to make a new machine and import data and software automaticallyfrom the previous machine.
Internet Does not Work in Ubuntu.Invoke the VMWare Fusion menu Virtual Machine - Settings - Networkand test Share the Mac's network connection versus Connect directly tothe physical network (Bridged).
I primarily use a Mac for my work, but since a I do a lot of robotics I have to switch over to Ubuntu to use ROS. Having a linux dual boot on a mac is doable and I have done it in the past (see instructions if you’re interested), but I just felt that giving up hard disk space for another operating system with a limited 512GB of storage is not something I wanted to do. Another issue is that the latest linux kernel doesn’t play well with the Macbook’s hardware, e.g., I could not get my machine to shutdown and it would get stuck which meant I would have to hard shutdown by keeping the power key pressed. That being said, I learned from a friend about the wonders of virtual machines, so here’s what I did.
Hardware: Macbook Pro Retina 15″ Mid 2015 (Model 11,5) running macOS Sierra. (I tried in El Capitan and it worked there as well).
Ubuntu Version: Lubuntu 14.04.5 (Lubuntu has all the goodness of ubuntu without the heavy add ons, good for virtual machines where you want to minimize resource consumption).
ROS Version: Jade
Ubuntu For Mac
- Download and install VMWare Fusion (8.5 is what I’m using), I know of another virtualization option called Parallels but that is known to be more expensive than fusion in the long-term. Though if you’re a student you can get student pricing. There is a third option called Virtualbox which is free but its more difficult to setup and has known issues with 3D acceleration which may make using Gazebo problematic.
- Get Lubuntu 14.04 from here. I used Lubuntu because it is a lighter flavor of ubuntu with all the goodness and none of the more fancy stuff (bells and whistles). Its a pretty solid distro for ROS use and gets the job done. On a virtual machine you wanna consume less resources unless absolutely necessary so that you don’t slow down your host machine / os.
- Start up Fusion and choose the option “Install from disc or image”. Then follow the instructions and use the downloaded Lubuntu iso file.
- You will be able to choose the resources that you want to dedicate to your VM, here are my choices:
- Enable 3D acceleration in the Displays setting.
- I dedicated 4 cores from the 8 cores that I have available.
- 8 gb of RAM which is 50% of what I have available.
- 1024 MB of graphics memory.
- 40GB of hard disk space. Fusion will automatically choose swap size.
- I know this is all too generous, but what the heck, I want to run gazebo sims smoothly.
- Now let vmware do the rest.
- Now startup the virtual machine (vm) then in your bash rc file in Lubuntu, add the following line:
- Follow ROS installation instructions and that’s it, you’re all set to go and run crazy ROS sims.