Windows operating system and Mac OS each have their own pros and cons. It is really handy to be able to keep our hands on both of the operating systems. If you are a regular user, using both the operating system simultaneously can be a hassle. Today we’ll see some of the best virtual machine for mac and Windows.
This article has been divided into two parts. One being the best virtual machine for windows to run Mac OS and other best virtual machine for mac to run other windows based applications.
First, let’s get into some of the best mac osx virtual machine. .
Creating a Windows 10 Virtual Machine on macOS To run Windows-only applications on your Apple computer, you will first need to set up a virtual machine (VM) environment running Microsoft Windows 10. Each component you will need can be acquired free. VirtualBox version: Version 6.0.22 r137980. The host and guest OSes and versions: Windows 10 Host, Guest Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS. Whether you've installed Host Extensions & Guest Additions - Guest CD additions installed.2Best Mac OSX Virtual Machine For Windows
Best Virtual Machine for Mac OS
If you are looking to use windows applications in Mac OS X, there are lots of good options out there.
Parallels is by far, hands down the best way to use windows applications on a mac OS laptop/system. I you are looking to visualize your windows based software, parallels got your back.
Parallels take it to a whole new level when it comes to run dual operating systems on your PC. With parallels, you do not have to install the operating system primarily. What you do is, you run a windows operating system within your MAC’s desktop without rebooting the laptop.
The applications run as they are native to the operating system without any glitch or any issues. If you are looking for the best virtual machine for Mac OS X for running windows or windows applications, Parallels is your answer.
- Gone are the days to reboot to switch between OS.
- Windows 10 and macOS Sierra optimized
- You get 500 GB of free online backup
- Convert your existing PC or install a new one..
Vmware Fusion provide a similar feature but the biggest down side of Vmware Fusion is Gaming performance/3D performance. There are lots of users that recommend Vmware Fusion because it provides some extra configurations/customization options that Parallels does not provide. So, if you are not much into gaming, that you cannot go wrong with Vmware Fusion, but we insist you stick with Parallels.
Now let’s see how you can do the same (in other way) on a Windows Computer
Best Mac OSX Virtual Machine For Windows
Yes, you can install or use Mac OS x on your windows computer or hardware. There are two ways you can do it.
- You can use a virtualization software for MAC OS and use Mac os inside windows
- Either you can install Mac OS as a primary operating system which requires in-depth knowledge of your hardware and other stuffs. So we recommend you to stick with the first option.
Using Mac OS inside windows
I have already written a How To guide on all the installation and configuration process for using Mac OS on your windows PC. Check it out.
Virtual Box is a free virtualization software provided by oracle. Since it is a free software, there are some limitations to the usability and advanced features you get on other applications.
Vmware workstation is the best application to install mac OS on windows PC. It provided advanced configurations and customization options. There is so much you can do with Vmware Workstation.
- High end, powerful virtual machines can be created with Vmware Workstation
- Performance is unbeatable like suspending, pausing the state of virtual machines.
- Workstation supports 4k displays and high resolution.
- Setting up networking is a piece of cake.
So, there you have it these were some of the best virtual machine for Mac and windows. These are the best and tried applications among thousands of other applications.
If you face any issues, do let us know in the comments below.
Undoubtedly, Windows 10 is a user-friendly operating system with its own pro and cons. But which operating is free from it? If you’re in love with Windows 10 and do not want to leave it, but want to try macOS, you can do so. But how?
The safest way without leaving safe boundaries of your current operating system is using a virtual machine.
Virtual machine is an emulation of a computer system, it behaves like an actual computer by imitating dedicated hardware.
In this how to install macOS Mojave on Windows 10 tutorial you’ll learn how to create a Hackintosh.
So, let’s begin without going into details.
Pre-requisites to create macOS Mojave on Windows 10
You’ll need to download and install certain essential tools before we begin.
1. VMware Player 15.0.4
VMware Player Intel APFS Mojave 10.14.3
VMware Player Patch Tool (Both Files Required)
2. MacOS Mojave
Once all the above-mentioned files are downloaded, extract them using an archive tool like WinRAR or WinZip. In the extracted folder, you’ll see a .VMDK file. This the file that contains the operating system.
How to Create a macOS Virtual Machine Using VMware Workstation Player
You can not only create a macOS Mojave on VirtualBox but can also use VMware to create a virtual machine. Before doing so, remember VMware requires patching before macOS Mojave virtual machine runs.
Patching VMware Workstation Player
We hope you’ve downloaded VMware Player Patch Tool. That being done, now you need to extract the contents of the zip file.
Tip: Save all the downloaded files at one location and extract them on the same drive. As VMware root folder and extracted files are on C: extract all on the same driver. As it will work best.
While extracting patch file ensure VMware is not running. To cross-check head to Task Manager by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Here, under Processes tab look for Vmware, if you find it select > End Task.
Once done head back to patch folder > right-click the win-install command script > Run as Administrator. This will open the Command Prompt window, where patch script will run. While the process is running, keep an eye on the screen and ensure there is no “File not Found” messages.
Note: “File not found” or a “system cannot find the file specified” message appears while installing VMware Workstation Player when the patch file is saved in a location different to the default folder.
Once the patch runs completely, open VMware and start creating macOS Mojave Virtual Machine.
Steps to create macOS Mojave Virtual Machine
1. Open VMware > New Virtual Machine > Next > Custom > Next.
2. Select Create a New Virtual Machine > I will install the operating system later > Next.
Virtualbox Mac Os On Windows
3. Select Apple Mac PS X > under Version click the down arrow to select macOS 10.14. In case you do not see Guest operating system or macOS options, this means the patch didn’t install correctly. So, reinstall the patch and then follow the steps.
Give a name to your macOS Mojave virtual machine and copy the file path as you’ll need it later to make some edits.
4. On the next screen, change Number of processors to 1 and change Number of cores per processors to 2 > Next.
5. Next, allocate the memory > Next. We suggest allocating 4GB.
6. After this, select Use network address translation (NAT) to connect. However, if you don’t want network connectivity select Do not use a network connection > Next.
7. Avoid changing recommended I/O controllers, disk type > Next.
8. Now, select Create a new virtual disk > Next. Do not change the recommended disk size. Select Store virtual disk as a single file > Next.
9. To finish creating macOS Mojave virtual machine specify the location where you wish to disk file > Next > Finish.
Wait, do not start the virtual machine.
Before we start the virtual machine, you’ll need to edit the certain settings. To edit macOS Mojave Settings follow the steps below.
Steps to edit macOS Mojave hardware specifications:
1. Open VMware > select macOS Mojave virtual machine > Edit virtual machine settings.
2. Let VMware run on default virtual machine memory. We recommend using 4 GB.
3. Under Processors, if you see the number of cores more than 2 edit them and make it 2 under core processors.
4. Next, under Hard Disk (SATA), if there is an already create disk remove it. Select SATA > Remove.
5. Now, select Add > Hard Disk > Next > SATA (Recommended)> Next > Use an existing disk. Browse to the location of existing macOS VMDK and hit ok.
Edit the macOS VMX file
You are now one step away from using your Mac Mojave virtual machine. To make the final edits close VMware and follow the step by step instructions below:
1. Go to the location where you saved macOS virtual machine. Its default location is: documents folder on your C drive.
2. Now, navigate to macOS.vmx > right-click > Open with > Notepad.
3. Scroll to the end and add: smc.version = “0”
4. Save the change and Close Notepad.
You are nowall set. Open VMware select your macOS Mojave virtual machine, and enjoy using it.
Since we are using VMware version 15 you can install VMware tools from within. To do so, head to VM tab in your VMware > Install VMware tools.
Sometimes when the patch file isn’t processed properly you may encounter error message like:
“Mac OS X is not supported with binary translation”
“VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)”
If you receive “Mac OS X is not supported with binary translation” you’ll need to activate virtualization in your BIOS/UEFI configuration.
If you receive the message “VMware Player unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)” this means you forgot to add smc.version = “0” in the .vmx file. So head back and add it.
Virtual Machine Mac Os On Windows 10 Downloads
So these were the simple steps to run macOS Mojave on Windows 10. If you follow the step by step, then nothing can go wrong. Please leave us a comment to let us know all went well. However, if you faced any problem do let us know.