|The subject of this article is from the Origins update.|
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 9 November, 2020.
- No Man's Sky Steam Sale
- No Man's Sky Steam Sale History
- No Man's Sky Steam Achievements
- No Man's Sky Steam Charts
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 9 November, 2020.
|This article is about the VR controls. For the non-VR controls, see Controls.|
Virtual Reality Controls lists controls and best practices for VR players.
- 12Driving an Exocraft
- 16Remap controls in Steam/PC
Note: This section is under development.If you find controls that made your VR experience more pleasant, please add them.
The game seems designed primarily for seated play. Turning in room-scale is not fully tracked yet and the HUD remains stuck to a fixed forward direction.
Press both analogue sticks at the same time to recentre if needed. (Index)
Press the right thumb button to open and close the menus, including the Log, Discoveries, Options, and Quit menu.
Walk, Swim, or Jetpack[editedit source]
On Index, the left analogue stick is for walking and the right one for turning. In general, you control your walking and sprinting direction with your left arm -- hold out your arms to strafe when you're looking and running around.
To sprint, raise your left controller nearly horizontal before clicking the sprint button (right stick click on Touch and Index).
To walk or jetpack backwards in VR, use the analogue sticks, or move the controller behind yourself.
The right B button activates the jetpack and swimming.
- The jetpack direction is controlled by your right arm. To fly in a certain direction, extend your arm like superman in the direction you want to go.
- Your Rocket Boots, if installed, can be activated by double-tapping the jetback button while the jetpack is fully charged. This will launch you in the direction of the HUD and cannot be manually aimed like normal jetpack flight.
- To swim up or down, it's the same as jetpacking. Press and hold the jetpack button (right B) and stretch out your arm in the direction you want to swim. Turning underwater is done the same as when walking (rightstick).
Tip: How to stop melee punching while walking
Aiming and Interacting[editedit source]
Things are not highlighted by pointing at stuff with your hands. Instead, imagine you have invisible cross-hairs between your eyes that highlight markers, boxes, etc.
To interact with objects (or to highlight waypoint icons, or to aim your pulse drive etc.), focus at it with your headset. The item has to be 'in the centre of the screen' (which, depending on your headset, might not be in the centre of your view). Turn your view until you see a fist icon, then grab and pull to activate it.
Punch/pistol whip objects by gripping with either controller, then moving it sharply forwards. You can mine carbon by punching trees if your mining laser runs out of fuel. Be aware of your real world environment when doing this!
To enter a ship, point at it with your right hand held out, make a grab gesture, then pull towards you. To leave a ship, grab then push up the green lever at either side of the cockpit.
To land, press down on the left touchpad (Rift), or right controller A (Index)
Grab and slide the throttle forward with your left hand to take off.
Steering and speed[editedit source]
- Speed: Grab and slide the throttle forward and backwards with your left hand to adjust speed. Release the control once you have set the desired velocity.
- Left back trigger button fires your afterburners. You do not need to be holding the throttle to do this.
- Holding the left A button engages your Pulse Drive.
- Up/Down: Grab the right hand stick to control your aircraft's attitude: Tilt the stick forward/back to pitch the nose up/down.
- Left/Right: Grab the right hand stick to turn your aircraft: Tilt left/right to yaw, and tilt the analogue stick (Index) left/right to roll.
Weapons can be cycled using Left Analogue Stick Up (Index). Radar targets can be cycled using Left analogue stick left/right (Index)
Flight Tips[editedit source]
Flight controls can be a little tricky, Various tips include:
- Adjust (lower) the flight sensitivity in the game options!
- There are normal and inverted flying controls, and tethered and locked. If steering feels unintuitive, try the other variants in the settings.
- It's only your hand's roll and pitch that matter for steering left/right and up/down. Hold your hand still and do roll/pitch movements only.
- (Index) Press the bottom of your right controller against your knee, desk, or arm rest, and rotate around that point to accurately emulate how the stick actually moves.
- (Vive? Rift?) You can 'lock' your right hand onto the flightstick by tapping the grip button on it instead of holding the grip button. Long hold it again (2-3 sec) to let go of the flightstick.
- Lock your right elbow to your side to stabilize the flightstick.
In flight you can also use a wireless mouse, it switches automatically if you use another device. If you have WMR you can also rebind your flight controls to the motion controller joysticks (Using Steam VR settings) though you have to enable them by clicking your mouse.
Switch Weapons and Recharge Shields[editedit source]
On the ground, with multitool in your right hand, point your left hand at the back of the multitool, and press the middle of the three options to switch weapons modes.
In the starship or exocraft, cycle weapons using Left Analogue Stick Up (Index). Cycle radar targets using Left analogue stick left/right (Index).
In the starship or exocraft, lift your left hand in front of you, and point at it with your right hand to access the quick menu. Here you can recharge Deflector Shield, weapons, Pulse Engine, warp drive, Fusion Engine, Exocraft Mining Laser, etc.
No Man's Sky Steam Sale
Galactic map[editedit source]
Enter a starship and fly above the atmosphere. Lift your left hand in front of you, point at the left hand with your right hand to access the quick menu, and select Galactic Map.
In the galactic map, press B to deselect the current system that you're viewing. Press A to select another system.
Point your right hand to turn the camera, or turn the right control sticks. (?)
Use the grip button (thumb button on Index) on the right controller: With grip held down, push and pull the controller around to move the map. You are grabbing, and pushing and pulling the fabric of space here. :-)
It appears to be a known bug that selecting a galactic core, and therefore jumping galaxies, is not possible using VR controllers.
Inventory and Crafting[editedit source]
Lift your left hand in front of you and point at it with your right hand to select Inventory from the quick menu.
No Man's Sky Steam Sale History
- Pick up or move items by pointing with the right hand and clicking the trigger. You can also pick up and drop items by physically pressing your glove finger against the holographic display so that a red circle appears around it.
- Delete items by hovering over them and holding down the right analogue stick (Index). For Vive, hold down on the bottom of the right touch pad.
- Press and hold A to craft a duplicate of the currently selected item (Index).
- While holding a stack of items, use left analogue stick up/down to split off a fraction of the stack with each click (Index), or right X/O buttons (PSVR).
When in doubt, most inventory specific commands can be seen by hovering over the item in your inventory (left back of your hand) with your right hand.
Quick menu[editedit source]
Lift your left hand in front of you and point at it with your right hand to access the quick menu.
The quick menu controls many important interactions that you don't want to desperately google for while in VR, for example:
- recharge and repair (hazard protection, life support, multi-tool)
- summon exocraft, starship, Freighter
- switch on a torchlight in your left hand
In starships and in exocraft, the quick menu has additional options.
Using the multitool[editedit source]
Lift right hand over right shoulder, grab, and move your hand in front of you again to (de)activate your multitool. When using an Index controller, use your lower three fingers for the grabbing gesture, don't pull the trigger and don't push the thumb button (otherwise you will shoot behind you while opening a menu!).
Point left finger at the back of your right hand to change weapons/mining beam/terrain manipulator, and to switch weapon and scanner modes.
To change the Terrain Manipulator area-of-effect size in additive mode: open the Mode Menu on the back of the tool and use the L/R Grip buttons to adjust the size.
To adjust the size for subtractive mode: open the Quick Menu on your left hand, then use the L/R Grip buttons to change the size of the terrain manipulator beam. Close the Quick Menu and start digging!
Scan and Analyse[editedit source]
To scan for resources, point at the back of your multi-tool with your left hand and click 'Scan' to activate your Scanner. Alternatively you can click the left analogue stick (Index).
To analyse fauna/flora/POIs, raise your left hand to the side of your helmet, and grab to (de)activate your Analysis Visor.
While in Analysis Mode, points of interest (such as buildings or buried salvage) can be tagged by pointing with your right hand, or by centering them in your HMD and then pressing right trigger.
While in Analysis Mode, optionally press A to toggle between Analysis and Survey mode (if the Survey Device is fitted).
Driving an Exocraft[editedit source]
To enter an exocraft, point at it with your right hand held out, make a grab-and-pull gesture towards yourself.
To leave an exocraft, hold your arms to the side, and make a grab-and-pull-up gesture. To exit the Nautilon, you have to grab and pull the handles at a backwards-curved angle.
- Grab the steering wheel with both hands and tilt your wrists to steer left and right.
- Left back trigger button accelerates backwards, right back trigger buttons accelerates forwards.
- The right-hand A button boosts your exocraft out of ditches.
To aim, look at your target. Press R-Ⓐ to shoot (Valve Index).
Cycling weapons - right-joystick up and click right-joystick?
Taming and riding animals[editedit source]
Lift your left hand in front of you and point at it with your right hand to access the quick menu. Scroll to the cube symbol for animal feeding. If you have animal food in your inventory, you can select it here to drop it on the ground.
Or you can approach a wild animal, look at it until the interaction symbol appears (fist), and make the grab-and-pull gesture to feed it pellets from your inventory. Use the same gesture to harvest milk etc from fed creatures, or to ride a tamed animal.
Use the keyboard and press Return to open and close the chat window. I hope you can touch type...
Take screenshots / Photomode[editedit source]
Photo mode is not presently available for VR. However, you can still take screenshots using your VR kit's normal screenshot function:
- Index: Hold Left System Button + Left Trigger
- Vive: System Button + Right Trigger
- Oculus: Hold left menu button + Left Trigger
Remap controls in Steam/PC[editedit source]
- Start up No Man's Sky in VR.
- Open up the Steam dashboard.
- Go to 'Settings' towards the lower right hand side.
- Hit 'controller settings' on the left.
- Pick No Man's Sky from the list.
- Here you go into the top left option to change it yourself, if you scroll down to the bottom you will see bindings uploaded by others.
- No Man's Sky VR - 20 Tips and Tricks For Beginner VR Players (Video)
No Man’s Sky is a survival video game created and published by Hello Games—a British indie video game company.
The game can be found on platforms such as Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, and Good Old Games. If you want to learn how to request a No Man’s Sky refund on each of these platforms, you’ll find this guide useful.
How to Get a No Man’s Sky Refund With DoNotPay’s Help
DoNotPay offers the most convenient and time-efficient way of requesting No Man’s Sky refunds. You can follow these steps:
- Log in to your DoNotPay account from a web browser
- Go to “Chargeback Instantly” and click on “Get Protected”
- Confirm your account info
- Answer all of the chatbot’s questions
- Verify your signature
- Click “Sign and Submit”
Once you complete your request, it will get faxed to your bank together with the letter that contains the ViSA and Mastercard codes. DoNotPay can also contact the merchant for you.
All of that can help you win the case and receive a refund.
How to Get a No Man’s Sky Steam Refund on Your Own
You can also request a No Man’s Sky refund by yourself through the Steam website.
Can You Request a Refund Via
Yes / No
How to Request a No Man’s Sky Refund Through the Steam Website
To refund No Man’s Sky on the Steam website, do the following:
- Access your account from the Steam Help page
- Click on “A Purchase” in the “What do you need help with” section
- Find and click on No Man’s Sky
- Choose to request a refund
- Complete the contact form
Once you send the form, the company will send you an email to confirm that your request has been received.
How to Request a No Man’s Sky Refund if I Purchased the Game on Another Platform?
If you didn’t purchase No Man’s Sky on Steam but another platform, here’s how to request a refund through their websites:
Good Old Games
If you need help requesting a refund through the Xbox website, you can get in touch with their customer service by requesting a call on the contact page.
What Is No Man’s Sky Refund Policy?
Hello Games advise you to contact the store you bought the game from—Xbox, Steam, PlayStation, or Good Old Games—and follow their instructions to request a refund. Here is the refund policy of each of the stores:
Steam Refund Policy
You can request a refund for a game on Steam in the first 14 days after purchasing the game, and with under two hours of playtime.
You’ll receive the refund either through the payment method used for the purchase (JCB, Visa, Mastercard, or American Express) or in Steam Wallet funds—it depends on your choice and the country you live in.
PlayStation Store Refund Policy
You’re eligible for a PlayStation refund if you request it in the first 14 days, but only if you haven’t downloaded or streamed the game.
Your money will be credited to the payment method used for the purchase.
Xbox Refund Policy
Xbox refund is available only in the first 14 days after the purchase and if you have less than two hours of gameplay. Another condition is that you need to launch the game at least once before requesting a refund.
Xbox will credit the refund to the original payment provider. You can track your refund request status in your order history.
Good Old Games Refund Policy
You can request a GOG refund in the first 30 days after buying the game.
GOG will also refund your money to the original payment provider used for the purchase.
How Long Will It Take to Receive a Refund for No Man’s Sky?
The waiting period for your No Man’s Sky refund depends on the platform you purchased the game and requested the refund from.
- Steam—You’ll receive a refund within seven to 14 days of the refund approval
- PlayStation—Expect to be refunded eight to ten business days after sending the request
- Xbox—You’ll get the response from the support team after 72 hours, and the refund after a few business days
- Good Old Games—The waiting period depends on your payment method—Visa, Mastercard, American Express, PayPal, or Paysafecard. The refunds credited to AMEX, Visa, or Mastercard will take a few business days. If you used PayPal to pay for No Man’s Sky, they will notify you via email once GOG sends your refund. Paysafecard users are usually international gamers, and the time between their refund request and payment will be the longest.
Potential Issues When Requesting Refunds for No Man’s Sky on Steam
No Man's Sky Steam Achievements
Because of a highly upvoted Reddit post, many gamers think that Steam will automatically offer a full refund even after they play No Man’s Sky for more than two hours, despite Steam’s policy.
Steam has emphasized that their standard refund policy—requesting a refund within 14 days with less than two hours of gameplay—is still valid for No Man’s Sky. That message is visible before you purchase the game.
Another issue shows up when you want to request a refund for in-game purchases. You can request it in the first 48 hours, and only if you haven’t changed, used, or transferred the item.
Issues You Could Encounter While Requesting a No Man’s Sky Refund on Other Platforms
These are some of the problems you may come across if you purchased the game from other gaming platforms:
- PlayStation—Once you start downloading the game, you can’t get a refund unless the product is “faulty”
- Xbox—If you’re requesting refunds too often, Microsoft could think that you’re taking advantage of them. In that case, they can refuse to approve future refund requests
- Good Old Games—Even though GOG guarantees a full refund for any game, they will still try to fix the issues you have first. The company will offer a refund only if they can’t solve the problems that you have with No Man’s Sky or any other game. Another case where GOG won’t approve the refund is if the game doesn’t work because your device’s system doesn’t meet its requirements. These specifications are already written and explained on the product page, and that’s why GOG won’t approve the refund
What Else Can DoNotPay Help Me With?
Other than helping you request a refund from companies in the most efficient way possible, DoNotPay can assist you in resolving many other issues. After logging in to your DoNotPay account either from a web browseryou can rely on us to help you:
No Man's Sky Steam Charts
- Dispute traffic tickets
- Fight speeding tickets
- Get compensation for delayed or canceled flights