Posted  by  admin

Matt Lucas Twitter

For Yom HaShoah, March of the Living pairs prominent figures from entertainment, the media and sport with Holocaust survivors in a series of one-to-one interviews

Jewish comedian, actor and writer Matt Lucas is among the celebrities who have heard the moving experiences of Holocaust survivors to mark Yom HaShoah.

Lucas, alongside fellow celebs Ronnie O’Sullivan, broadcaster Robert Peston, Baroness Karren Brady and Love Island’s Eyal Booker, were paired up with Holocaust survivors in a series of one-to-one interviews.

The Meet the Survivors videos have been released today as a virtual March of the Living, which in pre-pandemic times would see more than 10,000 people ‘march’ the 3km from the gates of the Auschwitz concentration camp to the gas chambers at Birkenau as a tribute to all those murdered by the Nazis.

Lucas met 93-year-old survivor Harry Olmer. “It’s so important to remember the Holocaust as Harry himself has said repeatedly,” said the actor.

“I’ve really seen an extraordinary glimpse into the power of the human spirit. He’s a survivor. If we forget these stories, and what happened and why, we’re at risk of it repeating itself.”

Robert Peston, ITV’s political editor, met Lily Ebert, a 97-year-old survivor. “There’s too many people that walk around naively thinking that was the past,” he said.

Matt Lucas's Twitter account is still open but there have been no new tweets since 25 February. More on this story. Journalist 'ashamed' over death story. Published 29 November 2011. The latest tweets from @RealMattLucas. 261.9k Followers, 1,384 Following, 520 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Matt Lucas (@realmattlucas).

Robert Peston, ITV’s political editor, met Lily Ebert, a 97-year-old survivor.

“But unless we realise that this is something that happened to people alive today.”

Scott Saunders, the founder of March of the Living UK, said: “The Holocaust survivors are living embodiments of what it means to show resilience in the face of hatred and adversity.

“The incredibly powerful Meet the Survivors series of films with Matt, Ronnie, Robert, Karren and Eyal will help to educate people about the atrocities of the Holocaust and with that knowledge hopefully make sure that something like that will never happen again.”

To see the videos visit www.marchoftheliving.org.uk/meet-the-survivors

Eyal Booker meets Mala Tribich:

Ronnie O’Sullivan meets Eve Kugler

Karren Brady meets Agnes Kaposi

Robert Peston meets Lily Ebert

Matt

Matt Lucas meets Harry Olmer

Comedian Matt Lucas has posted a video mocking Boris Johnson's speech to the nation on coronavirus.

In a clip which has been viewed more than three million times on Twitter, the Little Britain star parodied the prime minister following his announcement on how the lockdown will eased in England.

Lucas said: 'So we are saying don't go to work, go to work, don't take public transport go to work, don't go to work.

— realmattlucas (@RealMattLucas) May 10, 2020

He added: 'If you can work from home, go to work. Don't go to work. Go outside. Don't go outside. And then we will or won't, something or other.'

Lucas revealed in a later tweet that he knows seven people who have died with coronavirus.

Advertisement

Social media users have praised Lucas' parody video of the speech, with one NHS nurse saying she had been 'devastated' by the announcement but that the video had 'helped me smile'.

Another Twitter user said: 'Thank you Matt, I have literally laughed my head clean off!!! Watched it numerous times & still chuckling...genius!!!'

More from Covid-19

Others criticised the video for making a joke out of a serious situation.

One user said: 'Meanwhile Matt people are dying !!!! Love ya to bits but........ Not really the time for taking the p***. People are having to bury their families !!!!!'

Lucas later responded: 'I know 7 people who have died, Andy. When the message from our PM is clear and effective, satirists like me will be out of a job. I'll be happy when that happens.'

Mr Johnson has received criticism that his speech did not provide enough clarity on how the lockdown is being eased.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

'Go to work if you can't work from home'

He announced the conditional plan on Sunday evening after the government changed its message from 'stay at home' to 'stay alert'.

Those who cannot do their jobs from home should be 'actively encouraged to go to work', the prime minister said, but people should avoid public transport if possible.

Matt Lucas Video

More details are set to be announced in a 50-page document this afternoon.

Matt Lucas Twitter Wagamama

:: Listen to Sophy Ridge on Sunday on Apple podcasts, Google podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Boris Johnson Video

But some said the speech had created confusion.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said: 'The prime minister appears to be effectively telling millions of people to go back to work without a clear plan for safety or clear guidance as to how to get there without using public transport.'

Matt Lucas Twitter

The leaders of Scotland and Wales also rejected the decision to replace the 'stay at home' slogan with one to 'stay alert'.