Jan 15, 2015
Buy VMWare Fusion, download, andinstall (write the serial number during installation). To get quicklystarted, you download a trial version for free and later buy it andregister the serial number (easy).
Lee On Coding, My blog about coding and stuff.
Go tohttp://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/downloadand choose the latest 64-bit Desktop version of Ubuntu.Save the downloaded Ubuntufile at some place you can recognize later.
- Try Ubuntu Appliances in a VM Ubuntu Try out Ubuntu Appliances on Ubuntu, Windows or macOS Try out Ubuntu Appliance images in an isolated virtual machine on your PC or Mac with Multipass. You can navigate through the setup instructions and interact with the software before taking the next step and installing it on a Raspberry Pi or a PC.
- In this document, I will guide you how to install Mac OS 10.11 on VMWare.
- On the Linux (Ubuntu.), open Terminal windows and CD to go to your Mac OS virtual machine directory. If you use the Windows operating system, open the CMD windows with Administrator privilege and CD to go to the Mac OS virtual machine directory. Perform the above commands respectively (after having replaced 'Your-VM-Name').
- Many businesses, and often individuals, need to run virtual machines due to the increasing cost of hardware and the ease virtual machines offer. Ubuntu is a good option when it comes to cloud.
Among the Debian-based distributions, we recommend Ubuntu, simply becauseswitching keyboard layouts is more reliable or easier in Ubuntu than in, e.g.,Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Linux Mint (a configured layout might be goneafter a reboot). Switching keyboard layouts are particularlyconvenient when doing programming with an English/American keyboard,with braces and brackets in natural places,and then writing emails using a native keyboard with special characters.
- Launch VMWare Fusion (the instructions here are for version 7).
- Click on File - New and choose to Install from disc or image.
- Click on Use another disc or disc image and choose your
.isofile with the Ubuntu image.
- Choose Easy Install, fill in password, and check the box for sharing files with the host operating system.
- Choose Customize Settings and make the following settings (these settings can be changed later, if desired):
- Processors and Memory: Set a minimum of 2 Gb memory, but not more than half of your computer's total memory. The virtual machine can use all processors.
- Hard Disk: Choose how much disk space you want to use inside the virtual machine (20 Gb is considered a minimum).
Ctrl+backslash, in the Switch to next source using field. Then you can use the shortcut to quickly switch keyboard.
gnome-terminal, right-click its new icon in the left pane and choose
Lock to Launchersuch that you always have the terminal easily accessible when you log in. The
gnome-terminalcan have multiple tabs (
Ctrl+shift+tto make a new tab).
Installing software on Ubuntu
You now have a full Ubuntu machine, but there is not much softwareon a it. Installation is performed through the Ubuntu Software Center (agraphical application) or through Unix commands, typically
To look up the right package name, run
apt-cache search followed bytypical words of that package. The strength of the
apt-get wayof installing software is that the package and all packages it depends onare automatically installed through the
apt-get install command.This is in a nutshell why Ubuntu (or Debian-based Linux systems)are so user-friendly for installing sophisticated mathematical software.
To install a lot of useful packages for scientific work, go tohttp://goo.gl/RVHixr and click on one of the followingfiles, which will install a collection of software for scientific workusing
install_minimal.sh: install a minimal collection (recommended)
install_rich.sh: install a rich collection (takes time to run)
The program will run for quite some time, hopefully without problems.If it stops, set a comment sign
# in front of the line where it stoppedand rerun.
The Ubuntu machine can see the files on your host system if youdownload VMWare Tools. Go to the Virtual Machine pull-down menu inVMWare Fusion and choose Install VMWare Tools. A tarfile isdownloaded. Click on it and it will open a folder
vmware-tools-distrib,normally in your home folder. Move to the new folder andrun
sudo perl vmware-install.pl.You can go with the default answers to all the questions.
On a Mac, you must open Virtual Machine - Settings... and chooseSharing to bring up a dialog where you can add the folders you wantto be visible in Ubuntu. Just choose your home folder. Then turn onthe file sharing button (or turn off and on again). Go to Ubuntu andcheck if you can see all your host system's files in
If you later detect that
/mnt/hgfs/ folder has become empty,VMWare Tools must be reinstalled by running
sudo perl vmware-install.pl as above or
Documents/Virtual Machines/Ubuntu 64-bit.Backing up the Ubuntu machine means backing up this folder.However, if you use tools like Time Machine and work in Ubuntu duringbackup, the copy of the state of the Ubuntu machine is likely tobe corrupt. You are therefore strongly recommended to shut down thevirtual machine prior to running Time Machine or simply copying thefolder with the virtual machine to some backup disk.
Install Virtualbox On Mac
If something happens to your virtual machine, it is usually a straightforwardtask to make a new machine and import data and software automaticallyfrom the previous machine.
Ubuntu Virtual Machine On Mac
Internet Does not Work in Ubuntu.Invoke the VMWare Fusion menu Virtual Machine - Settings - Networkand test Share the Mac's network connection versus Connect directly tothe physical network (Bridged).